Moments In Time

Friday, May 11, 2007

DRESS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Well, some of you have kindly asked if I have found a dress....let's just say in the past week, I have returned two dresses, and been to:
David's Bridal, Emalina's Botique. Macy's , Helen Cabrera (dressshop), Nordstrom (and their online store, too), Neiman Marcus, and Patricia's Botique (about 30 miles north of here)....we also visited Ann Taylor, Forever XXI, peeked in Jessica McClintock, and who knows where else for the girls! I guess my idea of modest is not the same as the designers or for that mattter others! And, I am slightly larger than the average Mother of the groom!!

To add insult to injury today, after one young (VERY YOUNG---maybe 18 Y/O, ) gave us books to look at, another consultant came to assist us, and she tried very hard and even called about delivery times, etc.....but the Owner and another lady came to the rescue....they seriously did try to help....but, you see, I want Navy blue, no strapless or thin straps, not see through, and in my size (somehow you cannnot get a feel for the look without your size!!) Just muy own opinion, but ladies do not need two hand widths of flesh showing on their body for all to gaze at!!
Anyway, the owner, who is petite and maybe 5'2", proceeded to MEASURE me!! (Yes, I must have looked REAL Thrilled, since she had just given me a "similar top" to the dress I liked in ta different size, and I found it hard to breathe and looked FLAT!! And, she called out the measurements across the room. After she finished, she got some chart out, and seems that eadh number of mine has its own dress size....some two sizes larger and some two smalller...NO AVERAGE HERE!! YES SIREE!! I DEFY ALL THOSE BOOK STANDARD NUMBERS. She informed me that I would have to pay for alterations....YIPEE!!! I buy two sizes bigger in each area.....Oh, yes, if the dress comes and I HATE IT, I bought it, because they special order it. Oh, but yes, it will be here in plenty of time for the wedding and alterations!! Well, that just soothed by anxiousness about finding a dress! N O T !!!!!!

So, now, if any of you have a cute pair of drapes or curtains that I make flow around my body, I could be no more humiliated than today, so just let me know, I am an expert at draping and flowing fabric!

Til next time, Iwill be online searching!!

5 Comments:

  • LOL! been there done that!

    By Blogger Rita Loca, at 5:37 PM  

  • hehe how funny! I can just imagine your face as she called out your measurements across the room! Were your girls with you? I bet they were giggling!!

    So did I read this right? You actually DID order the dress? We must see photos of whichever dress you decide on!
    Happy Mother's Day!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:36 PM  

  • Oh Pat...I'm so sorry you haven't found a dress yet. I as well, am a stickler for modesty and that is hard to find these days. Right now I have one bra (you know how it is in pregnancy...EVERYTHING gets bigger) but here all the bras are Victoria Secrets style. So, imagine me, preggo lumbering into a small dressing room, while some skinny little thing wearing a mini skirt hands me tiny pieces of lace which I THINK are SUPPOSED to be bras. Argghhhhh...It's frustrating. Cant I get a decent "over the shoulder boulder holder" people??? :) I feel your pain!

    By Blogger Jackie, at 6:28 AM  

  • No, I did not order any dress---not know how it would look on (in the correct size), and having to pay for it no matter what, I opted out!!

    The girls were there---standing in awe at the sales tactics and uninhibitedness of women!!

    By Blogger Memories for a Lifetime, at 7:02 AM  

  • gotta love searching for the "perfect dress,"

    By Blogger marshan, at 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home